Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – how to avoid it

In this post we start by highlighting the dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Then we explain what carbon monoxide is and what causes it. After that, we show you how a simple Carbon Monoxide Detector can protect you and your loved ones from harmful exposure to carbon monoxide in the home.

 

We can’t see, smell or taste Carbon Monoxide. But, thankfully… WE CAN DETECT IT!

 

Now, you can protect your family with a simple, low cost, battery powered, easy-to-fit Carbon Monoxide Detector. Installation is straight forward and well within the capabilities of anyone with basic DIY skills.

 

 

What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

 

Carbon Monoxide is a natural by-product of burning fuel for cooking or heating in the home. Carbon Monoxide exposure is usually well controlled and remains well within acceptable safety standards.

Carbon Monoxide

But, breathing-in excessive amounts of Carbon Monoxide can make us feel unwell. And, exposure to high enough levels of this toxic gas can prove fatal.  According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide causes “an average of 430 deaths per year” in the United States.

 

What causes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

 

The most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home is incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or badly ventilated household appliances. But, it can also be caused by blocked (or partially blocked) flues and chimneys.

 

If your fuel burning appliances are professionally installed and regularly serviced, and your flues and chimneys are in good condition, carbon monoxide will most likely be safely vented to the outside and will be within acceptable levels.

 

But, sometimes things can go wrong. For example, appliances can develop a fault. Or, flues and chimneys can become blocked. Harmful gas can then start to build up within your home. Without a carbon monoxide detector, you would not be aware that this was happening until it’s too late.

 

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: headaches, nausea, dizziness, tiredness and confusion, stomach pain and shortness of breath. But long term exposure can be much worse, and include: vertigo, ataxia or even heart related issues.

 

Here’s the good news:

Carbon Monoxide is easy to detect.

 

Here’s the really good news:

Carbon Monoxide Detectors are easy to install.
Battery powered  – no mains electricity, no wires and no mess.

 

Here’s the really, really good news:

Carbon Monoxide Detectors are NOT expensive.

 

As a qualified electrician and alarm installer with over 25 years industry experience, I carry out extensive research before using or recommending any equipment. My reputation depends on it.

 

I have installed the Kidde 7DCO Carbon Monoxide Detector in my own home. It took less that 10 minutes. This is the product that I recommend to all my customers!

 

 

The Kidde 7DCO Carbon Monoxide Alarm has many useful features.

• Lights will show you if the device is working properly.
• A display gives a continuous indication of the room’s Carbon Monoxide levels.
• The unit will show you if there has been a problem whilst you were out.
• A test button allows you to test the alarm at any time.
• The item comes with 10-year manufacturer’s warranty.
• The detector is very stylish and compact, at 118mm (width) x 70mm (height) x 40mm (depth).
Box Contains: 1 x CO alarm, 1 x Screw pack, 1 x Instruction manual.

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *